Tuesday, August 29, 2006

"The Office" is "Taxi"?

So last night I was watching some TiVoed "The Office" episoded, US not UK. I usually skip the opening credits, but Matt was controlling the TiVo so he let them run.

During the opening music, I felt a weird nostalgic feeling. As a kid, whenever I would hear the "Taxi" theme song, I would feel horribly sad--and I still feel that way when I hear it. It's the same with "The Office" theme song, it just makes me want to bust into tears--even though I find the show comical, same as "Taxi"

Then upon further reflection I realized that there are even more similarities--crazy boss (Louie dePalma vs. Michael Scott), budding relationship (Alex and Elaine vs. Pam and Jim), bizarro co-worker (Reverend Jim vs. Dwight)...

Next time you watch "The Office" see if you agree.

2 Comments:

At 10:31 AM, Blogger pilchgirl2 said...

I really don't have an opionion about this posting except for the fact that the only "Taxi" episode I remember is when Reverend Jim goes to take his driving test. The DMV scene is priceless...many tears of joy were shed.

As for the theme music for 'The Office' I agree that it's sad, but isn't the show sad. Sure it's funny, but its so uncomfortable to watch that its humor is horribly sad.

Now it's time for you to check out the BBC version, and that will really bring the tears.

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Lyn said...

You work at a video store--check it out and tell me I'm wrong.

But you are right, The Office certainly does bring a lot of sadness.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home