Thursday, June 22, 2006

At the movies

Blockbuster season is here and I'm trying to do my American duty by getting out to the cineplex and supporting our sagging film industry. This weekend, I took in Nacho Libre and The Lake House. Our attempts to sneak into A Prairie Home Companion were thwarted by 300 people over the age of 85 all trying to find a seat in a 150 seat theater. Therefore, we succumbed to pressure and gave up our unpaid for seats so Clara and Mabel to rest their bones.

Of the two I actually saw, The Lake House was the better of the two. Nacho Libre had some funny moments, but was mostly pretty disappointing. The only word I can use to describe it is stupid--but not necessarily so stupid it's funny either. The Lake House is totally a "suspend disbelief" endeavor, but was still very satisfying. Keanu wasn't too Keanu-ey and Sandra Bullock was her typical self. Definitely a chick flick.

What to see next...I'll probably try to see A Prairie Home Companion again--perhaps legit this time. Not so sure I'm excited about Superman--I don't know what it could really offer, but who knows? Anyone seen anything worth recommending?

5 Comments:

At 11:38 PM, Blogger pilchgirl2 said...

So you think Superman has nothing to offer...haven't you learned anything in your long-lived life. Do I even need to mention what the coolest part of this film it. Damn, I thought you knew better. I bet other readers do. Well, since I have to spell it out it's KEVIN SPACEY. A bald Kevin Spacey even. Guess who is pretty excited. Just about as excited as I was last night when a certain somebody came into the video store with a heafty new beard...David Cross. The never nude has never looked as good.

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger pilchgirl2 said...

I just saw An Inconvenient Truth and I feel good about all the things I do to make my life better for me and the environment.

Save Us, Al!


And do I need to mention it, but everyone needs to see HEART OF THE GAME! There is nothing I can say that would do this movie justice, just go and see it.

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Lyn said...

I definitely want to see Inconvenient Truth and Heart of the Game. Two docs not to be missed I'm sure. I'm also intrigued with Wordplay since I learned an actual person writes the crossword puzzles. I thought they appeared via magic.

Superman--It basically boils down to Kevin Spacey vs. Kate Bosworth--whose fame completely escapes me. I will still have to wait and see on that.

I've been trying to think what movies I'm genuinely excited about seeing this summer and I've selected 3--The Devil Wears Prada, Lady in the Water (at least once someone I trust sees it and tells me it's all clear for me) and another new Woody Allen movie!!! How exciting and with Scarlett, my female crush, Johansson. I was always Miss Scarlett when I played Clue and my obsession with the name continues.

Read this great story about the two of them here--and shame on you if you haven't seen Match Point! Get it on your Netflix queue immediately.

http://www.nymag.com/guides/summer/17409/index.html

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Lyn said...

Saw Devil Wears Prada last night. It was okay--more Lifetime movie than cutting edge fashion expose I kinda thought it would be. It'll run on TBS for the next 10 years for sure.

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Lyn said...

Saw Pirates on Friday--was totally scared. The parts without Johnny Depp are not so great, but the art direction and effects are incredible. I wanted to shower after seeing it. Matt screaming in terror was also a highlight!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home