Thursday, April 27, 2006

Second Place It First Place For Losers!

You want to know what I did on Tuesday Night. I finally saw BLACKBALLED: THE BOBBY DUKES STORY which stars Rob Corddry from The Daily Show. It's been screening at The Pioneer Theater, which is connected to my video store, for the entire month of April and I've been waiting to go, but no one would go with me. Finally, my friend Shannon was a go and I was informed that on Tuesday the cast would be present for a Q&A. It was sold out, but I didn't worry because I knew we'd get in. Yes, I was too chicken to actually ask a question, but I represented all the same. FYI -- I am the reason behind it's US theatrical release in NYC. No explaining required.

If you don't already know what the story is, I've included a synopsis from imdb for your enjoyment. Blackballed: The Bobby Dukes Story, is the tale of paintball's first superstar. While leading his team to their unprecedented fourth consecutive victory at the Hudson Valley Paintball Classic, Bobby Dukes was shot. Desperate to stay in the game, Bobby intentionally wiped the paint from his jersey, thus committing paintball's most heinous crime -- "Wiping." Rejected by the paintball community, Bobby was banished from the sport. In disgrace, Bobby disappeared. Ten years later, the ban lifted, a well-traveled and more mature Bobby is back to prove himself on the field that made him famous. Bobby joins forces with an unlikely ally, assembles a band of misfits and attempts to erase the memory of his tainted past.

The best thing about the movie is the cast. The Upright Citizens Brigade Theater represents. Word up to Paul Scheer, Rob Riggle, Rob Huebel, and Seth Morris.

Go see this movie. And don't make fun just because you know how much I love me some comedy. This improv rocks!

3 Comments:

At 4:12 PM, Blogger Lyn said...

Must ask--did you at all approach your Best Week Ever cruches? Were any of them there at the event? You never said if it was funny or not. Although I know going to those things when the "stars" are there can make it seem funnier than it is. Black Sheep is still the dumbest movie I've ever seen, but I sure did laugh with Chris Farley in da house.

Did you know that you can now download BWE off Itunes as a podcast? Haven't downloaded it myself, but it's there.

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger pilchgirl2 said...

I wouldn't have written about it if I didn't think it was funny. I was almost rolling on the floor during most of the scenes. It's all improv, so you can just imagine how many deleted scenes will be on the DVD, which will be released in July. Also, I heard a rumor that in Christoper Guests next mockumentary he uses some UCB actors. We can only hope.

The only famous dude there was Rob Corddry, so I didn't approach him because there were so many people waiting to talk to him. Though I do think Joe, the manager of the Pioneer - also a fellow Olivia fan might give me the autographed Blackballed poster.

Don't forget I don't have itunes. Jen has itunes with complete control over her laptop. I had to really beg to get permission to download Ain't Nobody by Chaka Khan. Definitely worth it.

I do watch BWE clips on VH1.com. They always make my afternoons a little more enjoyable.

Last night I saw a live performance of Showgirls, The best movie ever made. Well, not my idea of the best movie ever, but it was ridiculously funny. It is a UCB production that uses actors found on craigslist to reenact key scenes from the movie. They have a website, which I think is Showgirlsthebestmovieever.com. Check it out.

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Lyn said...

Maybe I'll have to bring the laptop when I come to town so I can hook you up with some great new tunes I've compiled.

I just got suckered into watching about a half an hour of Showgirls the other night when I was on the road. I think I was waiting for the Race to start. I was wondering if it was as bad as I remembered--and it was. Too see it live--awesome.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home